Quick Bread: Quinoa & Flax Seed Gluten-Free Bread

As you’ve probably gathered, I’m a big fan of challenges in the kitchen and blog world!  I find that they keep me motivated to eat healthily, and to come up with new ideas.  What a great source of inspiration to see what everyone else is cooking up on a similar theme!

This week, I’m a part of Meghan Telpner’s 5 Days Healing with Everyday Superfoods Challenge, and I am loving it!  I’ve found that in just two days I’m already eating new ingredients that I wouldn’t normally eat (broccoli sprouts! goji berries!), and come back to some old favourites like flax seeds, and coconut.

One of the recipes from Meghan’s superfood package, is Josh’s Incredible Hulk Quinoa Bread: a gluten-free quick bread, made with sprouted quinoa and green spirulina.

I wanted to try a version without spirulina and chia seeds, (as I haven’t managed to get a hold of them yet!  eep!), but still wanted superfood-filled-bread this morning!  So I went with flax seeds instead… yum and good for you too.  The bread turned out to be a great quick bread, kind of like banana bread without bananas or zucchini bread without zucchini!  I think it will make a great base for a fruit quick bread too.

So far, I’ve had the bread for breakfast “two ways”: with my blood orange marmalade, and with a thin layer of almond butter topped with unsweetened coconut (a superfood, and a nice treat!).

And for lunch, the best way yet: alongside a juicy pear, with roasted onion chickpea hummus and my new favourite: broccoli sprouts!

Quinoa, Buckwheat & Flax Seed Gluten-Free Bread

Wet Ingredients

• 1 c. quinoa
  • 2 c. water (for soaking the quinoa)
  • 3/4 c. milk (skim, soy, almond, hemp, rice)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 Tbsp. raw honey

Dry Ingredients

• 1 c. buckwheat flour
  • 2 Tbsp. tapioca starch
  • 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 1/4 tsp. baking powder (use a gluten-free variety)
  • 2 Tbsp. ground flax seeds
  • 1/2 tsp. sea salt

Soak quinoa in the 2 cups of water overnight, to start the sprouting process.  In the morning, drain excess water and rinse.

Preheat oven to 350F, and spray a loaf pan with cooking spray.

In a large bowl, combine Wet Ingredients.  In a separate bowl, combine the Dry Ingredients.

Mix the wet and dry ingredients together, and pour into the loaf pan.

Bake at 350F for 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.

Let cool in the loaf pan for 5-10 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack and enjoy!

This loaf is best stored in the fridge, or sliced and frozen.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Categories: Bread, Breakfast & Brunch, Gluten-Free, Main Course, Vegetarian

47 Comments on “Quick Bread: Quinoa & Flax Seed Gluten-Free Bread”

1. April 19, 2010 at 5:28 pm #

This DOES look fantastic!

2. April 19, 2010 at 6:20 pm #

Yum!! Wait until you make the green one… really fun colour!

3. April 19, 2010 at 8:58 pm #

That looks really great! I haven’t been able to find spirulina either…but I really want to make this. Maybe I’ll try this version. Thanks!

4. April 19, 2010 at 9:30 pm #

@Lauren – it is SO easy, you must give it a go… and I know you have loaf pans from your greenola ;)

@Ash – can’t wait! Must find spirulina!

@Meghan – thanks, I was definitely inspired by the green version, and HAD TO HAVE IT NOW!!!

5. Angela
    April 20, 2010 at 9:33 am #

Lindsay, this one looks great! I’m going to give it a try. It doesn’t have a thousand ingredients.

I’ve never heard of spirulina or chia seeds (chia pet?) do you think that is a relatively large, or small amount of tapioca starch? Lisa is not a fan of the taste/texture and I’m wondering how much affect it would have if it was reduced.

6. April 20, 2010 at 12:01 pm #

I think it’s a relatively VERY small amount of tapioca starch. I don’t think Lisa would notice it at all, the bread is really quinoa-y and buckwheat-y.

And yes, chia seeds are the same ones used in chia pets!! :)

7. Lynne
    April 21, 2010 at 8:49 pm #

What about hemp flour in place of the spirilina?

• April 21, 2010 at 9:27 pm #

Ooooh, great idea! But also not something I have on hand ;)

I think it would work quite well though!

8. gisela mcdonald
    June 14, 2010 at 4:26 pm #

Re: quinoa, bucckwheat, flax seed bread.

Turned out very well at first try and is SUPER DELICIOUS. Had my first slice today with a bit of honey and yoghurt on top – even my husband loves it.

9. June 15, 2010 at 9:00 am #

Hi Gisela,
    So glad you loved it! I found this recipe worked out so well too, and will definitely make it again and again!

10. Francis Byrne
    December 15, 2010 at 12:29 pm #

Can you substitute anything for milk? Maybe vegetable broth?

Also, any ballpark idea how much fiber this loaf of bread would contain per slice?

Thanks.

• December 15, 2010 at 8:22 pm #

Hi Francis,
      I use almond milk, which is not really milk, and it works really well. Let me know if you try it with broth, I’m not that brave in my experimenting!

If I had to make up a VERY rough fibre estimate, I’d guess 4g/slice, but I am making that up entirely…

Good luck!

11. Kelly
    February 1, 2011 at 5:41 pm #

I made this… it was good, except the Quinoa was a little bitter (even though I rinsed it, I don’t think I did it thoroughly enough). The bread rose nicely and it was hearty. I love bitter food, so I didn’t mind it. But my BF didn’t really care for it. I thought it made for a lovely egg salad sandwich.

12. Nancy
    August 9, 2011 at 4:10 pm #

Could I use amaranth instead of buckwheat flour? It’s what I have on hand. :)

• August 9, 2011 at 5:19 pm #

Absolutely!! It would be more amaranthy and delicious!!!

• August 10, 2011 at 11:04 am #

Ps. Let me know how it turns out!!

13. Anouk
    September 14, 2011 at 11:12 am #

Mmmh, wondering if you can also do this one with the red quinoa?

• September 14, 2011 at 1:11 pm #

Absolutely you can! I’ve done it before and it’s great!!!

14. September 22, 2011 at 10:40 pm #

Have you ever made a vegan version of this?

• September 23, 2011 at 9:13 am #

YES! And it’s wonderful. I substitute chia seeds mixed with water for the egg and it works out great. It’s a recipe I use in my gluten-free (and vegan!) baking classes.

• November 11, 2011 at 2:37 pm #

Can i just use the 1 TBS of chia seed to 3 TBS hot water egg substitute recipe I’ve seen on line? Also, does the bread have a little crunch to it due to quinoa. I hope so b/c I would love that in a bread.

• November 11, 2011 at 3:16 pm #

Yes, if you use that ratio, I’d let it sit for 15 minutes to cool before adding it to the wet ingredients.

And yes to a little crunch, yum!

• November 11, 2011 at 3:27 pm #

I’m so excited! I’m going to try it in my mother’s southern-style cornbread dressing (as the “cornbread’)

• November 18, 2011 at 6:25 pm #

I love the bread! It tastes great. How long does it last in fridge?

• November 22, 2011 at 9:50 am #

I’d say three days tops, but check for mold before you eat it. Because there are no preservatives it goes off quickly.

15. November 26, 2011 at 4:33 pm #

hi there

I see , there is all bunch of questions about milk, flour, starches

but what about eggs?

can’t eat chickens egg, the quail’s are quite expensive
    can I add just “vegan egg” = flax + water mixture?

• November 29, 2011 at 11:44 pm #

Hi Rozalka,
      I do something similar for a vegan version — try the flax & water mixture. Your bread may be a bit more crumbly, but it should be good. It works really well with chia seeds as the egg replacer as well. Good luck!

16. January 29, 2012 at 2:21 pm #

Wow this looks amazing! I am definitely going to try this soon :) Could you substitute arrowroot flour for the tapioca starch?

Thanks for the great recipe!

17. Marty
    February 5, 2012 at 1:43 pm #

Can this be made without eggs (vegan here)? Looks delish!

18. Marty
    February 5, 2012 at 1:46 pm #

Sorry, just saw your response for chia or flax above! ;-)

19. March 6, 2012 at 1:38 pm #

can you tell me how many calories the loaf is or one piece?

• March 7, 2012 at 11:32 pm #

Sorry, I don’t count calories… a site like sparkpeople.com or livestrong.com have great calculators where you can plug in the info and figure it out. My guess would be that it’s similar to a slice of whole grain bread. Good luck!

20. Mell
    May 18, 2012 at 2:03 pm #

Tastes great! A nice change of pace. My quinoa is a bit crunchy, despite soaking overnight. I think I will try with a cup of cooked quinoa? I didn’t have buckwheat flour, so I used 1/2 cup King Arthur Flour Ancient Grains blend and 1/2 cup almond flour and used homemade cashew milk for my liquid. I will definitely make this again!

21. Kennedycas@icloud.com
    July 20, 2013 at 5:49 pm #

This looks great” is it more like a sandwich bread or dessert bread like banana bread? Thank you”

• July 23, 2013 at 3:29 pm #

Hi, it’s more like a sandwich bread — it’s definitely savoury, not sweet. I love it with hummus and sprouts. Enjoy!!

• August 5, 2013 at 10:02 am #

It’s more of a sandwich bread — it’s definitely savoury in flavour, not sweet.

22. August 13, 2013 at 12:50 pm #

how could i add bananas or zucchini into the recipe to “change” it into banana bread or zucchini bread???

1. What I learned from 5 Days Superfoods « The Kitchen Operas - April 23, 2010

[...] French Toast made from the Quinoa & Flax Seed Gluten-Free Bread with “Goji Berry, Cocoa Nibs & Flax Seed Sprinkles” & a bit of unsweetened [...]

2. Gluten-Free Rhubarb Ginger Muffins « The Kitchen Operas - May 27, 2010

[...] gives to my baking, (as you’ll remember from my gluten-free chocolate orange walnut biscotti, quinoa & flax bread, and pita) and you know what?  Buckwheat and rhubarb are related!  This sounds like a match made [...]

3. Gluten-Free Rhubarb Pear & Ginger Crisp with Polenta Topping « The Kitchen Operas - June 13, 2010

[...] Quinoa & Flax Seed Gluten-Free Bread [...]

4. I am famous! « The Kitchen Operas - July 30, 2010

[...] Gluten-Free Quinoa & Flax Seed Quick Bread [...]

5. Kasha with Collard Greens « The Kitchen Operas - July 31, 2010

[...] Quinoa & Flax Seed Gluten-Free Bread [...]

6. Why I Teach Gluten-Free (and Vegan!) Bread Baking Classes | The Kitchen Operas - August 29, 2011

[...] and seeds: chickpea flour, millet, flax, buckwheat, quinoa! YUM!!!  I have to say that I crave the Quinoa & Flax Seed Gluten-Free Bread (and the vegan version I do in my classes) with hummus and sprouts every week, and I think this is [...]

7. Making Love in the Kitchen Making Love In The Kitchen: Why Gluten-Free (and Vegan) Baking Rocks - April 10, 2012

[...] seeds: chickpea flour, millet, flax, buckwheat, quinoa! YUM!!!  I have to say that I crave the Quinoa & Flax Seed Gluten-Free Bread (and the vegan version I do in my classes) with hummus and sprouts every week, and I think this [...]

8. Quinoa and Flax bread...have you tried it? - YorkieTalk.com Forums - Yorkshire Terrier Community - July 19, 2013

[…] but I did come across this recipe if that might help: Quinoa & Flax Seed Gluten-Free Bread Quinoa & Flax Seed Gluten-Free Bread | The Kitchen Operas? Whole Food Market has one by Bread & Circus Bakehouse called Organic Flax & Quinoa […]

9. Quinoa & Buckwheat Gluten-Free Bread | The Kitchen Operas℠ - November 12, 2013

[…] a yeasted bread, so it takes a little more planning time than a quick bread (like this Quinoa & Flax Seed Gluten-Free Quick Bread).  There are two rising times: one after you first bring the dough together into a ball, and a […]