Gluten-Free Mulberry & Lemon Polenta Muffins

This is a muffin recipe that I’ve been tinkering with for a while, in many different iterations.

I love the crunchy texture and bite that cornmeal (polenta) adds to baked goods.  It’s perfect on the bottom of crusty artisan breads or homemade pizza crusts, and I just adore it in muffins and pancakes.  I even make muffins without any flour at all, and entirely use cornmeal as my grainy base — they’re messy and maybe not the prettiest breakfasts, but they taste divine.

So with all of my different variations and tests, the final push to complete this recipe?  Some gorgeous mulberries I grabbed from the Farmers’ Market last weekend.

In a moment of simpatico thinking, I was over at Louise‘s place last weekend and her mulberry tree is in full swing: dropping ripe, sweet, sun-ripened mulberries all over her car and front walkway.  I saw a facebook status update from her this week mentioning mulberry muffins, so I had to get started on my own.

If you can’t get your hands on mulberries, I think that blueberries would be a great stand-in here… especially those teeny, wild ones.  I can find frozen wild blueberries quite easily around here.  Otherwise, blackberries, raspberries, or a combo of berries should also work well.

And then you can start experimenting with orange zest instead of lemon zest, and. . . oh the variations are endless!

So I give you today’s version:

Gluten-Free Mulberry & Lemon Polenta Muffins

Makes 12

Dry Ingredients

• 1/2 c. amaranth flour
  • 1/2 c. brown rice flour
  • 1/2 c. coarse ground cornmeal (polenta or grits, I use these)
  • 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp. salt

Wet Ingredients

• 1 c. fat-free yogurt or sour cream (or a combination)
  • 1 Tbsp. coconut oil
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/3 c. maple syrup
  • 2 tsp. vanilla

Mix Ins

• zest of 1 lemon
  • 1 pint mulberries (about 1 cup)

Preheat oven to 350F, and grease a muffin tin with coconut oil or cooking spray.

Combine Dry Ingredients in a large mixing bowl.  In a separate bowl, combine Wet Ingredients.  Fold Dry Ingredients into Wet Ingredients, and stir until well combined.

Add the Mix Ins (lemon and berries), and gently stir through the batter.

Pour evenly, filling each muffin cup 3/4 full.

Bake at 350F for 35-40 minutes, rotating the pan once in the baking process.  Once the muffins are done baking, they should be golden brown on top, and a skewer or sharp knife poked into the centre of a muffin should come out clean.

Let cool for five minutes, then remove muffins gently from muffin tins and let cool completely on a cooling rack.

Enjoy as they are, or à la boyfriend (with a little dab of butter).  Store any leftovers in an airtight container for eating throughout the week.

Submitted to Amy’s Slightly Indulgent Tuesday.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Categories: Breakfast & Brunch, Dessert, Gluten-Free, Snack, Vegetarian

18 Comments on “Gluten-Free Mulberry & Lemon Polenta Muffins”

1. fran
    July 6, 2010 at 9:10 am #

loved the chocolate merangues….so easy –the saffron whipping cream was ok too!

Keep em coming

2. July 6, 2010 at 9:20 pm #

These look fabulous Lindsay. Now I feel like baking your recipe, but in this heat… I don’t think so! I think that a cornmeal-raspberry-orange zest would be fantastic. Oh… I feel a great dessert idea coming!

3. July 7, 2010 at 7:09 am #

Hi again :) did you use polenta polenta or the Bob’s Red Mills grits you introduced me to last year?

4. July 7, 2010 at 8:02 am #

Great question!

I use the Bob’s Red Mill that says “Corn Grits also known as Polenta”:

5. July 7, 2010 at 8:15 am #

Cornmeal + raspberry + orange sounds amazing!

I want to do cornmeal + blackberry + orange!!!

6. July 7, 2010 at 7:30 pm #

Great re: polenta, that’s what I have in my cupboard!

7. jyotsna
    July 11, 2010 at 12:57 pm #

hi ,

i tried the muffins …they tasted great but stuck to the muffin cups. i used paper ones…was that the problem. i followed recipe PRECISELY. Please suggest a solution

thanks. will appreiate reply.
    p.s. tks for the recipe.

• July 11, 2010 at 1:33 pm #

Hi! Not sure about using the muffin cups… I never use them, I just grease my pan instead, and they don’t stick.

Maybe try again without the paper cups?

Sorry they stuck, but glad you liked the taste!

8. July 11, 2010 at 5:57 pm #

I spray my muffin cups lightly with cooking spray before adding the muffin mix. It works every time.

Thanks, Lindsay, for linking up to Slightly Indulgent Tuesday!

9. July 11, 2010 at 7:39 pm #

Thanks, Amy, for the hint — that’s what I do too, and I don’t need the paper cups that way! I tried coconut oil once, but the cooking spray does seem to work best… And thanks for running Slightly Indulgent Tuesday — I get such inspiration from all the recipes everyone posts!!!

10. December 11, 2010 at 2:17 pm #

Those are baking in my oven right now… blueberry, amaranth and barley flours, and cornmeal. Can’t wait to try them!

• December 13, 2010 at 4:24 pm #

And they look divine on your blog, Louise. Mmmm!

11. Lisa
    April 25, 2011 at 5:21 pm #

Hoping to try with just polenta hope they look as great as these

• April 25, 2011 at 8:17 pm #

Wonderful – I hope they turn out!!

The amaranth and brown rice flours help to make them a little “cakier” than if they were just polenta/cornmeal/grits and no flour. (Which I’ve done, and they’re a little more cornbread-y). You can sub equal amounts of any flour you like, if you prefer!

12. Sara
    November 22, 2011 at 9:04 am #

Awesome recipe,

I just read an article on growing mulberries so now I know what to do with them.

Thanks,
    Sara

1. Tart Gooseberry Polenta Tartlettes « The Kitchen Operas - July 9, 2010

[...] Evidence #1: Mulberry Lemon Polenta Muffins [...]

2. White Bean, Parsley & Chive Croquettes with Arugula & Horseradish Sauce | The Kitchen Operas - July 24, 2011

[...] me to turning squash into “jam”, who convinced me I could poach an egg, who has mulberry and quince trees (!), who likes all the same flavours that I do, and inspires countless meals [...]

3. Inspiration from a Friend | The Kitchen Operas - September 14, 2011

[...] Birthday Louise! I am happy to be able to share so many common interests: quince, mulberries, oatmeal pancakes, sourdough, bread, brunch, singing, and amazing dinners. Thank you for all the [...]