Gluten-Free Chickpea Chapati

I have been having so much fun in the kitchen lately, as I’ve been experimenting with gluten-free bread baking!  And I’ve come up with a flatbread recipe that I have to share with you: Chickpea Chapati!  Oh, you’ll love them!

These are particularly good with Indian curries, but the boyfriend and I have been nibbling on them plain, as they’re so tasty.

These are definitely doable for a weeknight: you can have your own freshly baked and gluten-free flatbread in 10 minutes.  What could be better?  Mix, roll, bake, eat.  Done.

Ohhh, and do you want to know why I’ve been experimenting with gluten-free bread baking?  Well, I’m glad you asked!

On April 30th at 11am, yours truly will be teaching a class at Meghan Telpner’s Love in the Kitchen Academy here in Toronto: Get Baked Gluten-Free Style!!!  What fun!!!

Registration is now open (click here for all the details and to register).  All recipes and samples are going to be gluten-free, vegan, and mightily delicious.  I’m focusing on whole gluten-free grains and real foods rather than scary thickeners and stabilizers.  You know you want to be there!

And in the meantime, you can make your own Chickpea Chapati.  Yum.

Gluten-Free Chickpea Chapati with Cumin
Adapted from Gluten-Free Chickpea Chapati at Recipe Zaar, Makes 6 flatbreads (Serves 2)

• 150g (1 c.) chickpea flour  (a.k.a. besan, gram flour, garbanzo flour) + extra for dusting
  • 18g (2 Tbsp.) arrowroot flour/starch
  • 5mL (1 tsp.) whole black cumin seeds
  • 2g (1/2 tsp) sea salt
  • 15 mL (1 Tbsp.) olive oil
  • 85 mL (1/3 c.) water

In a small bowl, combine chickpea flour, arrowroot, cumin, and salt.  Whisk well to combine.  Drizzle oil and water over the top of the flour mixture, and combine with your hands until it all becomes one sticky ball of dough.

Divide dough into 6 golf-ball-sized balls.

Place a pan over medium heat on the stove and let it heat up while you roll out the first chapati.  Your preheated pan is ready once droplets of water sizzle upon contact with the pan.

Dust your work surface generously with chickpea flour.

Take one of the balls and flatten it into a disc with the palm of your hand.

Place it on the floured work surface, and gently roll out into a circle about 15cm (6″) in diameter.

Place your chapati onto your preheated pan, and wait for 45-90 seconds, until there are bubbles all over the top surface and they stop growing.

Flip the chapati over and cook for another 30-45 seconds.  Remove from the pan and set aside.  If you leave them on the heat too long, you’ll get (still delicious) crispy chickpea crackers instead of soft and pliable chickpea chapati.

Repeat with the remaining dough balls.  You will find that your pan gets hotter as you go, so each chapati will need less time to cook.

Eat warm with your favourite curries and pickles.  Maybe Baingan Bharta, Masoor Dhal, and Curried Okra, with brown rice, lime pickle, and rhubarb chutney?  Yum.

Tags: , , , , ,

Categories: Announcements, Bread, Classes/Workshops, Gluten-Free, Vegan, Vegetarian

22 Comments on “Gluten-Free Chickpea Chapati”

1. Katey @ Bonne Santé
    February 9, 2011 at 6:23 am #

Oh my gosh congratulations on the class! That is such amazing news! :)

• February 9, 2011 at 8:53 am #

Thanks, Katey, I’m super stoked!!!!!! (And possibly creating an eBook about it — what fun!)

2. February 9, 2011 at 10:29 am #

Miss Lindsay, this looks amazing! I can’t wait for the class :) We’re so lucky to have such a talented baker coming to the kitchen!

• February 9, 2011 at 11:43 am #

Aw, thanks Meghan!!!! Just wait ’till you see what else I’ve got up my sleeve :)

3. February 14, 2011 at 5:42 am #

Love the use of chickpea flour I’m going to try these tomorrow night. We have friends coming round and I’m cooking a squash curry so these will be the perfect accompaniment! Congrats on your class, wish I could be there, sounds really exciting, good luck!!

4. Belinda
    March 21, 2011 at 8:15 pm #

Thank you from south Florida.
    I have been searching online tonight for this very specific recipe ….it looks like I have found it!
    Your classes sound wonderful and if I lived close by, I’d be there.

5. June 26, 2011 at 4:08 pm #

i made those for lunch today (with turkey in a Kitchenoperas-inspired cilantro-ginger-lemon pesto and an asparagus-radishes-peas salad). They were very easy to make and very delicious. Thanks for inspiring two of our dishes today! :)

• June 26, 2011 at 6:32 pm #

Glad I could help out! Sounds divine :)

Thanks for letting me know you liked them and that you thought they were easy!

6. February 5, 2012 at 11:53 pm #

These were a hit at my family dinner this evening. You can dry the leftovers in a warm oven (170 degrees for 20-30 minutes) to make crisp, gluten-free chapati crackers. My celiac daughter isn’t the only one who finds these delicious!

7. Juhi
    March 22, 2012 at 1:08 pm #

Thank you. I have PCOD and had been looking for a glutten free bread, which can be easily made. thanks.

8. Michele Ng
    September 5, 2012 at 12:15 am #

dear lindsay, thanks for sharing …. i am going to try this real soon. Have been making capatis with ATTA and not realising that it’s got gluten … gosh.

• September 5, 2012 at 12:17 am #

Oh no!!!! Good luck with the chickpea version!

9. October 17, 2012 at 12:10 am #

Made the Chapatis for luch today – loved them!

• October 17, 2012 at 12:11 am #

So glad to hear it!!! Thanks for letting me know!!!

10. Helen Gerhard
    January 9, 2013 at 11:58 am #

This recipe looks wonderful. I have a panini maker and love to make them. However, since going gluten free I have been hard pressed to find any bread recipes without a lot of starch . . . . . until I found your blog accidently. I want to try making a panini with this recipe. Would you consider doing web based classes? Everything I read of yours makes so much sense. I am unable to get to Canada in the near future to attend any of your classes.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge!

• January 15, 2013 at 1:32 pm #

Big news on my class coming soon… You’ll be pleased :)

11. April 28, 2014 at 8:10 am #

Divine chickpea chapati’s, I agree here! Yum yum yummm! x

1. Jaipur, India: Lentils & Lattices | The Kitchen Operas - April 23, 2011

[…] (If you’re drooling over this chapati, it was truly delicious – and you can make your own Whole Wheat Chapati or make them gluten-free as Chickpea Chapati!) […]

2. How to make Gram (chickpea) flour « Living Gluten and Lactose Free in Egypt - June 10, 2012

[…] took the gram flour and this recipe  as an idea source. (DISCLAIMER: I don’t generally follow recipes if I am baking especially […]

3. Gluten | meandmyThermie - May 12, 2013

[…] by a chapati recipe http://kitchenoperas.com/2011/02/09/gluten-free-chickpea-chapati/ that I’ve converted to Tmx, here it […]

4. Easy to Make Chickpea Flatbread | Journal of a Nutritionist - November 10, 2013

[…] much. I do though get a craving for something bread like every once in a while. I saw these on the kitchen operas and have been wanting to make them. I finally did and  I’m glad, they were really good. I […]

5. Thali on a Train | The Kitchen Operas℠ - April 1, 2014

[…] but this one was made with chickpea flour — missi roti — which tasted just like my Gluten-Free Chickpea Chapati.  It was a great […]