Speedy Whole Wheat Flatbreads (no rise!)

Let’s pretend you’re having a dinner party.  And twenty minutes before the guests arrive, you realize you forgot to buy a baguette to go with the stew!

What’s a good host to do but make some quick flatbreads?

Of course, there’s no time to wait around for dough to rise — but that’s no problem, because you have a Speedy Whole Wheat Flatbread recipe.  And it’s mightily easy and delicious.  Perfect for serving with stews, soups, dips, or even in place of naan with curries.

When you bake the flatbreads, you may get nice bubbles on the top, but that’s not to say they’re not delicious if you don’t get bubbles.

These are so good I’ve been making them a couple of times a week just because I can.

If you make extra, they keep well in the fridge for a couple days.  You can reheat them in the toaster or oven for optimal deliciousness.  But really, they’re so fast you don’t need to make them ahead of time — you can always make a fresh batch for dinner!

Speedy Whole Wheat Flatbreads

Adapted from No-Rise Grilled Flatbreads at Prevention RD, Makes 4 flatbreads

• 4g (1 1/2 tsp.) quick-rise instant yeast
    • 250 ml (1 c.) warm water
    • 7 ml (1 1/2 tsp.) maple syrup
    • 280g (2 1/4 c.) whole wheat flour
    • 2g (1/2 tsp) salt

In a large bowl combine yeast, water, and maple syrup, and stir to combine until yeast dissolves.

Add in the flour and salt, and mix with your hands into a ball.

Dust your cutting board with flour, and place the dough on the cutting board.  Divide into 4 equal balls.

Take one ball of dough, and flatten it into a disc with your hands.

Roll it out into a circle or oval, about 12 cm (5″) in diameter.

Heat a large pan on the stove over medium heat. Place one flatbread on the pan and bake until lightly browned on the bottom (30-90 seconds).

Flip and bake the other side.

Wrap the baked flatbreads in a clean tea towel to keep warm, and shape and bake the other flatbreads. Serve warm.

Topping Ideas:

Mix together an olive oil mixture, and brush over the top of the bread before baking:

• 60 ml (4 Tbsp.) olive oil mixed with 6g (2 Tbsp.) za’atar (a Middle Eastern blend of dried oregano, thyme, and marjoram, sumac, and sesame seeds — feel free to replace with your own favourite herbs)
  • 60 ml (4 Tbsp.) olive oil mixed with 1 clove of minced garlic
  • 60 ml (4 Tbsp.) olive oil mixed with 1 Tbsp. fresh rosemary

Here’s one with za’atar before baking:

And after baking:

Or, sprinkle the top of the bread with herbs, spices, or seeds, and lightly press into the dough before baking:

• nigella seeds
  • sesame seeds
  • sumac and oregano

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Categories: Bread, Dairy-Free, Vegan, Vegetarian

16 Comments on “Speedy Whole Wheat Flatbreads (no rise!)”

1. October 6, 2011 at 3:24 pm #

i’ve tried making flatbread before but i must have done something wrong as they didn’t come out right. i think i may try this recipe and get better results. i like the idea of topping them with sesame seeds :)

• October 6, 2011 at 5:08 pm #

Good luck — let me know how they go!!!

2. October 6, 2011 at 3:25 pm #

So glad you liked them! The maple syrup in there sounds DELICIOUS!!

• October 6, 2011 at 3:46 pm #

Nicole, they are AMAZING! Thank you for posting the original recipe!!!

The maple syrup is lovely — my sweetener of choice and vegan for this month’s Vegan MoFo!

3. October 6, 2011 at 4:45 pm #

These look amazing!

4. October 6, 2011 at 5:01 pm #

Those look great – I’m definitely trying them. I’m another who always has issues with making flatbreads. Thanks!

• October 6, 2011 at 5:07 pm #

Let me know if they turn out for you!!!! Good luck! :)

5. October 6, 2011 at 5:13 pm #

Awesome! I love all the steps and the yummy looking pictures!

6. Catie
    October 6, 2011 at 6:02 pm #

How fantastic do these look?! The world of bread intimidates me – but maybe, just maybe, I could master the flatbread! And your suggestion of Sumac and Oregano to garnish has me dribbling.

• October 13, 2011 at 8:31 am #

I thought sumac & oregano was a particularly inspired combination. This you could TOTALLY do, Catie!

7. October 6, 2011 at 8:00 pm #

wow I want to make these tonight – I have found a quick pizza recipe that I love and I think this could be the companion recipe

8. October 6, 2011 at 10:09 pm #

Yum! These sound wonderful! They would be perfect with an Indian meal!

9. Jessica
    July 24, 2012 at 11:53 pm #

I used honey instead of maple sugar and it is still very delicious!

10. Jessica
    July 24, 2012 at 11:54 pm #

Oops, I meant I used honey instead of Maple SYRUP. :)

1. Vegan MoFo 2011 Wrap Up | The Kitchen Operas - October 31, 2011

[…] If you don’t have bread in the house, you can make flatbread 20 minutes before the guests arrive.  From scratch.  With all whole wheat flour.  And it’s […]

2. Whole Wheat “Kitchen Sink” Banana Bread | The Kitchen Operas - April 8, 2012

[…] toblerone cookies, pizza dough, calzone dough, crepes, sweet tart dough, savoury tart dough, and flatbreads), so I thought it would be a good idea to try it out with my standard Banana Bread recipe.  And […]