Nunu, Toronto: Ethiopian Vegan Deliciousness

I think Vegan MoFo is a great excuse to go eat some vegan food around town, so off I went with the boyfriend and his Mum to one of my favourite places in town: Nunu (1178 Queen St. West, Toronto).

IMG_1460

I was first introduce to Nunu by my best friend Pem, and we have eaten there a few times with her Mum.  It’s a place that makes me supremely happy for the food, ambiance, and the memories.  Now, excuse the photos in this post — but Nunu has great atmosphere, which means that at dinner-time it’s dark.  There are much more beautiful photos over at BlogTO’s writeup of Nunu.

IMG_1461

Nunu serves Ethiopian food, my absolute favourite food in the universe.  Traditionally, Ethiopian food comes on a shared platter, and it is eaten with your hands.  You use the spongy sour bread called injera (acting here as the layer between the plate and the stews) to eat the lovely blobs of lentils, chickpeas, and veggies you get on your plate to share with people you love.

IMG_1462

We ordered the Veggie Misto, which is what I order at every vegetarian restaurant I ever go to: the vegetarian combo of as many different things as possible.  I knew that Nunu’s vegetarian platter was vegan, and their menu explains that they use vegan ghee and oil for their cooking.  Woohoo!

IMG_1459

On our platter we got a smooth and spicy chickpea curry made with berbere (the world’s best spice blend… recipe coming soon), a coarser and less spicy green lentil curry, collard greens, beets, split peas, potatoes & cabbage, carrots & green beans, and onions.  In the centre is a lovely pile of salad with crispy onion bits.  Mmmm.

I’ll be explaining more about Ethiopian food in blog posts to come — I love eating it out so much that it’s time to make it at home.  And in honour of Vegan Mofo I picked up a copy of Kittee Berns’ “Papa Tofu Loves Ethiopian Food“, which is in fact vegan & gluten-free, and came in the mail this morning!!!  And it looks delicious.  I’ll be reading it while I’m away this weekend for Canadian Thanksgiving, and dreaming of berbere and lentils.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Categories: Vegan, Vegetarian

15 Comments on “Nunu, Toronto: Ethiopian Vegan Deliciousness”

1. October 7, 2011 at 5:08 pm #

What am AMAZING place!

2. October 7, 2011 at 5:11 pm #

Yes, please post a recipe for berbere! I got some in Seattle and it was perfect in a lentil soup I make but I’m out.

3. October 8, 2011 at 4:52 am #

Yayaya! I haven’t been to Nunu, but I adore M&B Yummy which is all vegan, including their baklava (although I don’t think they will ever have the tofu ice cream). What they lack in ambiance hey make up for in cheap prices… can’t complain about the Sweets from the Earth tofu cheesecakes which are only $3 or something.

I also just received Papa Tofu Loves Ethiopian, so I will gladly see how you like the recipes! I just picked up some urad dal to make injera! Yahoo!

• October 13, 2011 at 8:29 am #

Mmmm, I love M&B Yummy too!

I had no idea vegan baklava existed — NOW we’re talking!!!!!!!! :D

4. Pemma
    October 13, 2011 at 11:42 am #

Ahem… don’t you think that your wonderful BFF (me, of course) should have been mentioned as the one who first introduced you to said Nunu? Hrmph. Indignance. I’m just missing Toronto (and my favourite foodie buddy) more now.

• October 13, 2011 at 12:25 pm #

HAHA, ok I updated it just for you :)

5. Pemma
    October 13, 2011 at 11:44 am #

In fact… I want my own tag on your blog! My own tag! Funny that nowhere in my insights profile did it say I was demanding…

• October 13, 2011 at 12:14 pm #

Glad you saw that you already have your own tag :) I’ll go add it to the Nunu post!! (Yes, you are demanding! But I love it!)

6. Pemma
    October 13, 2011 at 11:48 am #

Oh dear.

I now have to admit that you already have a “Pem” tag… although I will still *suggest* that it be added to this post! I’m sorry, my missing you has inspired questionable online behaviour.

To make amends, I promise you that when we next meet in Toronto we will visit Nunu and I am always allowed to go into the kitchen and chat with her and learn about what’s going on back there… so next time let’s do that together and make it a blog entry ; )

• October 13, 2011 at 12:13 pm #

YES, I love it :) That is a great plan — can’t wait!!!

7. October 13, 2011 at 4:39 pm #

I love Ethiopian food – but your plate looks so much more colorful than the restaurant we have here. Either way- delish!

8. October 22, 2011 at 6:25 pm #

Your dinner looks amazing!

1. Vegan Niter Kibbeh (Ethiopian Spiced Oil) | The Kitchen Operas - October 20, 2011

[...] if you’ve decided you want to master Ethiopian food like you’ve been eating in restaurants, you’d better start making yourself some spiced oil to cook with.  And if you are doing it [...]

2. Ye’Takelt Allecha (Gingery Root Vegetables) | The Kitchen Operas - October 23, 2011

[...] option.  Here I’ve done a riff on the gingery potatoes and cabbage stew that I usually get in Ethiopian restaurants.  I used a bunch of the root veggies I had on hand: carrots, parsnips, some multi-coloured baby [...]