Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Apple and Almonds

Tonight was veggie roasting night around here — I did up a big batch of parsnips, carrots & sweet potatoes and then also had some Brussels Sprouts in the fridge. Seeing as I had the oven on anyway, I thought I’d roast them too.

20121018-211734.jpg

There’s a little bit of alchemy that happens when you roast Brussels sprouts. Even people who don’t like Brussels sprouts love them roasted. I usually just roast them whole with olive oil, salt & pepper. But I wanted to take them just a step further tonight — so I added in some fall flavours that make this perfect for a Thanksgiving dinner or other fall/harvest celebration. Or, you know, just Thursday night dinner.

20121018-211810.jpg

Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Apple and Almonds
Serves 4-6 as a side dish

• 4 c. Brussels sprouts, tips removed and halved
  • 1 apple, cored and chopped
  • 6 juniper berries
  • 1 tsp. sumac (or 1 tsp. lemon zest)
  • 1/4 c. almonds, chopped
  • 1/4 c. olive oil
  • 1 tsp. sea salt
  • freshly cracked black pepper

Preheat oven to 425F.

In a large baking dish, toss together all of the ingredients.

20121018-190650.jpg

Roast at 425F for 30 minutes (tossing a couple of times to prevent burning), or until the edges of the Brussels sprouts get crispy.

20121018-211726.jpg

20121018-211748.jpg

Serve warm from the oven or at room temperature!

20121018-211741.jpg

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Categories: Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free, Side Dish, Vegan, Vegetarian

8 Comments on “Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Apple and Almonds”

1. coldandsleepy2
    October 19, 2012 at 12:00 am #

Your Brussels look so good, and are making me feel really remorseful about not buying any this week.

2. October 19, 2012 at 3:02 am #

This dish sounds like it would be really great. I’ve never cooked with juniper berries before- intriguing!

3. October 19, 2012 at 10:35 am #

I make brussels sprouts and balsamic vinegar, so I can see how apples would work. Sweet works well with these sprouts! Yum!

4. October 19, 2012 at 12:32 pm #

Always trying to find new ways to cook brussels sprouts. Thanks for the inspiration!

5. October 19, 2012 at 5:15 pm #

Mmm…I love Brussels sprouts! Thanks for the recipe!

6. October 22, 2012 at 3:19 pm #

You really can’t go wrong with Brussels sprouts (one of my favorite vegetables!) but these look especially delicious. Very smart flavor pairing!

• October 22, 2012 at 9:57 pm #

Thanks, Hannah! I really enjoyed this combo of flavours!

1. Friday Fall Fruit Roundup | VeganMoFo - October 19, 2012

[...] Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Apples and Almonds from Lindsay at The Kitchen Operas would be welcome on my Thanksgiving table, or dinner any night [...]