If I had to say how I felt about these fries in one word: “Yum”.
Oven-baked fries are definitely a staple around here. I’ve always got sweet potatoes on hand, and I often need something snacky. These sweet potato fries are perfect, as sweet potatoes are lower on the glycemic index than regular potatoes, and I think they taste way better.
Baked Sweet Potato Fries
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 large (or 3 medium) sweet potatoes
Preheat oven to 425F.
Cut sweet potatoes into skinny fry-shapes, or into thin discs. The thinner you cut the sweet potatoes, the quicker they will bake. Place in a large mixing bowl with oil and salt, and toss to coat. Place on a baking sheet (make sure they are in a single layer – you may need a second baking sheet), and bake for 30 minutes, turning the pan 180 degrees halfway through cooking.
Variations: (add these spices along with the oil and salt)
- replace salt with 1/2 tsp. garlic salt, and add 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
- add 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- add a dash of hot sauce — I love “Frank’s Red Hot Sauce”
Dipping Sauce Suggestions:
- Spicy Ketchup: mix 1 Tbsp. chili sauce with 2 Tbsp. ketchup
- “Sriretchup”: mix 1 tsp. Sriracha (Asian Chili Garlic Sauce) with 2 Tbsp. ketchup
- Garlic Aioli: mince 1 clove garlic, and mix with 2 Tbsp. mayonnaise (non-vegan)