So the boyfriend and I have been buying pre-made Wheatberry Salad at our local grocery store’s deli counter, and finally decided we could do it better ourselves — and healthier and cheaper, too!
There is definitely less sugar in our version than the store-bought one, and a much higher veggie-to-grain ratio. We like it that way. I think this is definitely going to be a new staple around here, especially for the summer months.
For those of you scratching your heads in wonder in the bulk aisles: the wheatberries we picked up are hard winter wheat, higher in protein than the soft wheat varieties.
A Boyfriend Recipe, Serves 4
- 2 1/2 c. water
- 1 c. hard winter wheatberries, rinsed
Veggies & Tasty Add-Ins
- 1/3 onion, finely diced
- 2 mini cucumbers, chopped
- 8 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 6 artichoke hearts (we use from a jar, drained), thinly sliced
- 4 sundried tomatoes (also from a jar, drained), finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 bunch of parsley, chopped
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 oz. feta cheese, cut into small cubes
- zest of 1/2 a lime
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- salt & pepper, to taste
Prepare Wheatberries: In a pot over high heat, bring water to a boil. Add wheatberries and bring back to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, and let cook for 45-50 minutes or until tender. Drain and let cool.
Combine Salad: In a large bowl, combine cooked wheatberries with Veggies & Tasty Add-Ins.
Mix Dressing: Mix dressing ingredients in a small bowl. Check that you like the flavours, and adjust if necessary.
When ready to serve, toss salad with dressing and enjoy!