Cherry Almond Granola

How did I not know how easy it is to make granola?

Seriously, this was a fabulous discovery for me — I can customize granola to be exactly how I want it, and in less than an hour?  PERFECT.

I think I threw in everything but the kitchen sink here: dried cherries, coconut, almonds and cashews.  Gorgeous!  I think the next granola-experiment is going to include lemon zest and ginger… mmm.

One of my favourite ways to eat granola is atop Greek Style yogurt, which I have finally managed to find a fat-free version of here in Toronto!  Guess what’s for breakfast?

Cherry Almond Granola

Adapted from David Lebovitz’s Top Granola Recipe and Chowhound’s How to Make Granola

Dry Ingredients

• 3 c. rolled oats
  • 1 tsp. sea salt
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1 c. dried cherries, chopped
  • 1/2 c. unsweetened, dried coconut
  • 1/4 c. cashews, chopped
  • 1/4 c. almonds, chopped

Wet Ingredients

• 1/4 c. applesauce
  • 1/3 c. maple syrup
  • 1 Tbsp. roasted walnut oil (optional, or feel free to replace with coconut or vegetable oil)
  • 2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1 tsp. almond extract

Preheat oven to 300F.

In a large mixing bowl, combine Dry Ingredients.

In a pot over medium heat, combine Wet Ingredients, and heat until warm.

Pour the applesauce mixture over the oat mixture, and stir until all ingredients are thoroughly combined.

Spread the granola onto a Silpat-lined baking sheet, and bake at 300F for 40 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes, until the granola is browned (a pair of tongs is a great tool for this).

Let cool completely and store in an airtight container for up to a month.

Eat out of hand, with Greek style yogurt and fruit, or turn into cookies, and enjoy!

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

Categories: Breakfast & Brunch, Dessert, Gluten-Free, Snack, Vegan, Vegetarian

11 Comments on “Cherry Almond Granola”

1. Jacquie
    July 11, 2010 at 12:08 pm #

I can see me having this for breakfast, lunch, supper & snacks…tho not all on the same day!!

I LUV my oats & this is wonderful combination…again, I thank you!

2. July 11, 2010 at 12:22 pm #

It sounds so healthy and yummy! I think I’m gonna try this combo soon 🙂

3. July 11, 2010 at 2:02 pm #

I haven’t made my own granola yet, but when I realized that it would be just as easy (and healthier) to make my own, I put it on my wishlist of foods to make. Your granola looks awesome!

4. July 11, 2010 at 7:26 pm #

Thanks, Rachel! I’m really happy with it, you must give it a try — super easy!

Tes, you MUST try, delicious!

Jacquie — mmm, I hear you. I think this is a definite staple around here!

5. Rachel
    July 12, 2010 at 1:07 pm #

Where did you find the fat-free greek yogurt? I’ve been looking all around Toronto. Granola and yogurt is possibly my favourite food. 😀

• July 12, 2010 at 3:14 pm #

It’s the new one by Liberte – I finally found it at Loblaws Queens Quay. Apparently other shops have had it for a few months.

6. July 12, 2010 at 2:59 pm #

DEEEELISH.
    Lemon zest and ginger would be fantastic also… let me know how it goes!

• July 12, 2010 at 3:18 pm #

I am so impressed with how well the applesauce instead of oil worked out!!! I’ll definitely keep you in the lemon/Ginger loop 🙂

7. July 14, 2010 at 6:50 am #

I’ve made granola with applesauce too — and love it!

I like that you use Maple syrup — I’ll have to try that!

8. September 15, 2010 at 8:32 pm #

Sounds delicious! I make a great chicken salad with dried cherries.
    I’m a granola maker too. I like that you use apple sauce as a wet ingredient.

1. Blueberry Ginger Oat & Quinoa Granola with Lemon « The Kitchen Operas - July 29, 2010

[…] 29, 2010 · Leave a Comment Inspired by the great success of my Cherry Almond Granola, and having run out (after much Greek-yogurt-breakfast & handfuls-for-snacks gobbling, plus a […]