Whole Wheat Crêpes with Collards and Cheddar

So earlier this week, I had a Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day (just like Alexander).  I found out that I didn’t get into the school program I was hoping to start in September (boo!) so I needed consolation food.  And the answer?  Whole Wheat Crêpes with Collard Greens and Cheddar.

You could even make these to prevent bad days, they are that good.

We used an amazing cheddar, imported from Sweden, and gifted to us by the boyfriend’s Mum.  Yum.  Seeing as you may not be able to get Swedish cheddar… any cheddar that’s labeled “old cheddar” and has a bit more flavour than the neon-orange store brand stuff will do.  We like Balderson’s Premium Aged Cheddars (2 years = delicious, 3 years = glorious) when we’re grabbing stuff at the supermarket.  But do use a good cheese, it makes all the difference!

And for the crêpe batter?  I finally have a 100% whole wheat crêpe that is not only “good enough”, it’s really glorious.  And I bet most people wouldn’t even know their getting a fibre-tastic breakfast.  Mmm, these would be great for dinner too!  Or dessert!  You could eat nothing but crêpes all day!  Mmmm, enjoy!

100% Whole Wheat Crêpes with Collards and Cheddar

Adapted from Simple Low Fat Whole Grain Crepe at Green Lite Bites, Makes about 9-10 crêpes, Serves 2

Collard Greens

• 1 tsp. coconut oil or butter
  • 1 bunch collard greens, washed and sliced thinly
  • 1 pinch salt (optional)

100% Whole Wheat Crêpes

• 1 egg
  • 1 egg white
  • 1/8 tsp. salt
  • 1 c. whole wheat flour
  • 1 1/4 c. milk (skim, almond…)
  • 4 oz. cheddar cheese, grated

Begin by cooking the collard greens: In a large pan, heat the coconut oil or butter over medium heat.  Once it has melted, add the greens and cook for about 4 minutes, until the greens have softened but are still bright green.  Season with a pinch of salt and set aside.

Now make the crêpes: In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg, egg white and salt until frothy.

Slowly whisk in the flour and milk (alternating a little at a time).

Warm a crêpe pan or a regular pan over medium heat and add 1/2 tsp. butter or coconut oil.  Add about 1/4 c. batter to the pan, and roll the pan around to spread the batter out thinly and evenly across the bottom of the pan.  Cook for 45-60 seconds, then use your best flipping technique (or a spatula!) to flip the crepe.  Yelling seems to help a lot with excellent flipping.  Cook for another 45-60 seconds, then move the crêpe to a plate to make crêpes out the rest of the batter.

Fill the crêpes: Place about 3 Tbsp. of collard greens and 2-3 tsp. of grated cheddar cheese in the middle of a crêpe.

Fold in half (or roll up) and eat with delight!

Alternate fillings:

1) Cheddar and apple, yum:

2) Cinnamon, sugar and butter

3) Lemon juice and sugar (how I had them out-of-the-pan from my Mum, growing up!)

4) Nutella or almond butter & honey along with a banana!  Mmm.  We can call this one the Pem-Crêpe.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

Categories: Breakfast & Brunch, Dessert, Main Course, Vegetarian

15 Comments on “Whole Wheat Crêpes with Collards and Cheddar”

1. January 20, 2011 at 4:36 pm #

I haven’t ventured into the whole wheat crêpe territory yet. Maybe for fear of in adequate crêpes… maybe I’ll try this. Sorry about your program, do you have a back up one in mind?

• January 20, 2011 at 6:17 pm #

Hmmm… I was feeling the same way, but I promise, these are DIVINE. Give them a go! 😀

• January 20, 2011 at 11:07 pm #

PS. Thanks for the good thoughts. There’s no “Plan B” right now… but I have a few big things in store … to be unveiled soon!

2. Elaine
    January 20, 2011 at 7:39 pm #

Yes ditto here about your programme. Sometimes these things work out OK so another option may work out better. And the crepes look divine. Your blog is a lifesaver!!

Best wishes from a very sunny Sydney morning
    Elaine

3. January 20, 2011 at 11:19 pm #

Thanks, Elaine! I’m hoping something else will come along soon 🙂

So glad you love the blog!!! Want to send some sunshine? It’s latenight snow over here!

4. January 21, 2011 at 4:17 am #

I found some local “hard” goats cheese yesterday it’s like a Manchego but goat rather than sheep so a little sharper. This could be the perfect lunch to try it out! Sorry about the cliche but, “as one door closes another one opens” good luck!

• January 22, 2011 at 3:14 pm #

YUM! Sounds like a great way to go with the goat’s cheese. I’ve got to get exploring this coming summer and see what our growing artisanal cheese scene is coming up with!

thanks for the good thoughts 🙂

5. January 21, 2011 at 2:53 pm #

I love savory crepes when they’re done well. I can never decide whether I want a sweet or savory one! Love the idea of adding greens. I think a kale/lentil crepe would be really delicious. That vegan cassoulet in the last post sounds good too!

• January 22, 2011 at 3:15 pm #

I love that this recipe worked for both sweet and savoury. Mmmmm, the greens are perfect in crepes, and I think that a kale/lentil one would be AMAZING! Thanks for the inspiration!

6. January 21, 2011 at 4:25 pm #

Guess what’s for dinner??? 🙂 with ham, chard (used the collards in something else) and Grondines cheesse for me (and mozzarella for he). Again, you saved dinner time! Looking forward to seeing you next week!

• January 21, 2011 at 6:49 pm #

Mmmmmm, great plan!

Let me know how they turn out!! 🙂

7. January 21, 2011 at 11:42 pm #

I’ve never seen whole-wheat crepes, which I must admit was pretty disappointing, so thank you for sharing this recipe! It’s definitely going on the top of my list of recipes I want to try.

• January 22, 2011 at 3:15 pm #

Glad I could help out. They’re LOVERLY!

1. Mumbai, India: Ego & Idli | The Kitchen Operas - April 5, 2011

[…] few years of my life got turned upside-down (when I didn’t get into the university program I had hoped for), I’m figuring out next […]

2. Whole Wheat “Kitchen Sink” Banana Bread | The Kitchen Operas - April 8, 2012

[…] whole wheat chocolate chip cookies, compost cookies, toblerone cookies, pizza dough, calzone dough, crepes, sweet tart dough, savoury tart dough, and flatbreads), so I thought it would be a good idea to try […]