Lavender & Lemon Pound Cake

Coming up is the birthday of one of my favourite people in the whole world: Pria!

You may remember Pria from previous blogventures such as our trip to San Miguel de Allende in Mexico, or from one of my favourite recipes: her Rajma (Red Kidney Bean Curry)! She’s also the mum of my best friend, Pem. That counts for a lot around here!

Pria has a great eye for colour. Everywhere she goes, she finds colour – and she has inspired me to see the world differently too, through a more colourful lens!

Pria loves lemon desserts — like this gorgeous lemon creme brulee tart (!) that I’m determined to replicate.

She and I share another favourite flavour in common: lavender!

I adore everything with lavender, especially lavender in chocolate truffles and lavender in tea (best so far: David’s Tea’s in Jessie’s Tea with lavender, coconut, rooibos and cornflowers!).

So when I saw this recipe for a lavender & lemon cake, I knew it was perfect for our celebration for Pria’s birthday! Make sure you use organic un-sprayed lavender to avoid toxic pesticides — I grabbed some at my farmer’s market last summer and dried it by hanging it upside down. Perfect lavender for cake!

And ohhhhh yum, is this the best cake ever.

Yup, it’s got white flour and butter and eggs and milk AND sugar. And it’s so worth it.

Happy Birthday, Pria! Thanks for all of the amazing food- and life-inspiration!

Lemon-Lavender Pound Cake
Adapted from Desserts for Breakfast’s Meyer Lemon Lavender Pound Cake, Makes 2 loaves

• 1/3 c. milk
  • 6 large eggs
  • the juice of 1 lemon
  • 1 Tbsp. vanilla paste or extract
  • 3 c. all purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 c. organic crystallized cane sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • the zest of 1 lemon
  • 1 2/3 c. butter, softened
  • 1/3 c. dried lavender flowers

Preheat oven to 350F. Grease 2 loaf pans with butter and set aside.

In a small bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, lemon juice, and vanilla.

In the bowl of the stand mixer (or a large bowl for a hand mixer or by hand) combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and lemon zest.

Add the softened butter to the flour mixture and cream until fluffy, about 2 minutes.

Slowly add 1/2 of the milk mixture, mix for 30 seconds, then add the remaining milk mixture.

Add the lavender, and fold to incorporate into the batter.

Pour into the loaf pans, and bake at 350F for 30 minutes. Score the tops of each loaf with a sharp knife down the length of the loaf.

Turn the loaves 180 degrees in the oven, and bake for 25-30 minutes more. Test to see that they’re done by poking a knife, skewer or toothpick into the centre of each loaf. If it comes out clean, the cake is done!

Remove from oven and place on a cooling rack. Let cool for 10 minutes. Turn out of the cake pan and serve, slicing as you go!

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

Categories: Dessert, Vegetarian

14 Comments on “Lavender & Lemon Pound Cake”

1. fran
    February 14, 2011 at 8:22 pm #

just great, love your descriptions and the photos…and your choices of things to make!
    so amazing…
    will try this…if I can find some lavender..
    had a wonderful time with your Mom in Florida!

Fran

2. February 14, 2011 at 9:10 pm #

Thanks, Fran!!! Nice to see you commenting again! 🙂

Alas, I’m not off to Florida this time around… but the parents will at least get some holiday time together!

3. Pemma
    February 14, 2011 at 10:43 pm #

I love the photos that you have chosen for this post! Of course it’s an amazing cake but this is also a good story post. You’re amazing Linz!

• February 14, 2011 at 11:20 pm #

Awww, thanks Pem!!! 😀

4. February 15, 2011 at 5:28 am #

Lavender and Lemon why didn’t I think of that. LOL Looks & soundsAmazing

• February 15, 2011 at 9:36 am #

I felt the same way when I first saw the recipe — it’s a perfect combination!

5. February 15, 2011 at 4:58 pm #

Wow the lavender makes that even more gorgeous than it already is!

6. February 15, 2011 at 7:59 pm #

That looks amazing. My husband and I love lemon and lavender together. Several years ago, he made lemon bars with a lavender crust. I will surely show him this recipe. Delish!

• February 17, 2011 at 10:31 am #

Lemon bars with a lavender crust sound amazing!!!! That is definitely going to inspire me!

7. Katey @ Bonne Santé
    February 17, 2011 at 10:58 pm #

That looks like a fluffy little slice of heaven 🙂

8. February 22, 2011 at 5:02 am #

This sounds gorgeous! I have some lavender on my roof terrace, do I have to dry it first? I’m not very good at waiting!!

• February 22, 2011 at 10:38 am #

Hmmm, I’m not sure! It would probably be just fine fresh — but I’m not sure if you’d need to increase the amount of lavender or not (like you do with fresh herbs vs. dried)…

I say you try it and let me know 🙂

1. Lavender, Lemon and Honey Soft Oat Bars « Cook Eat Live Vegetarian - March 9, 2011

[…] saw a recipe for Lavender and Lemon Pound Cake on Kitchen Operas which caught my eye. It looked beautiful and I have a huge bowl of lemons on my […]

2. Lavender & Lemon Quinoa Bars | The Kitchen Operas - June 8, 2011

[…] love the reciprocal recipe factor:  The Lavender & Lemon Pound Cake I created (based on this recipe) became these became these Lavender, Lemon and Honey Soft Oat Bars […]