Swiss Chard & Onion Tart (with a Chickpea Flour Crust!)

I’ve been dreaming of savoury tarts.  I love them so.  And when a lovely bunch of Swiss chard arrived with its ruby red stems in my veggie box, I started dreaming of a Swiss chard tart.

IMG_0103

(Please ignore the photo quality… these are phone photos, as I’ve put my camera in a safe place.  You know, such a safe place that I can’t find it right now…)

IMG_0100

I thought I’d experiment with a gluten-free version in honour of my upcoming gluten-free bread-baking class, and so off to chickpea flour I went.  Mixing the chickpea flour into my favourite savoury tart dough: Clothilde’s Easy Olive Oil Tart Crust from her Parisian blog, Chocolate and Zucchini.

Your choice whether or not you keep it vegan, or add some salty feta or goat’s cheese.  We tried both, and I love it both ways!

IMG_0107

It’s the dough I used for my savoury Spring Ramp & Nettle Green Tart as well as my Spinach, Wild Leek & Feta Tart.  But this time, instead of whole wheat flour, I experimented with chickpea flour.  And the results were less puffy but delicious!

IMG_0104

IMG_0116

Swiss Chard & Onion Tart with a Chickpea Flour Crust
Inspired by Clotilde’s Easy Olive Oil Tart Crust, Serves 4-6.

Chickpea Flour Crust

• 250 g (1 2/3 c.) chickpea flour
  • 62 mL (1/4 c.) olive oil
  • 125 mL (1/2 c.) cold water
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 2 tsp. seasoned pepper (a store-bought blend of black pepper, parsley, basil, onion & garlic — feel free to replace with your favourite herbs)

Swiss Chard Filling

• 1 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 1 bunch Swiss chard, sliced
  • 2 small red onions, sliced and roasted (or caramelised in 1 Tbsp. olive oil) until soft
  • 1/4 fresh nutmeg, grated
  • 1 tsp. dried red chili flakes
  • 1 pinch salt
  • 1 tsp. seasoned pepper
  • 3 Tbsp. pesto (I used the last of my garlic scape pesto!)
  • 2 Tbsp. crumbled feta (optional)

Preheat oven to 400F.

In a small bowl, combine chickpea flour, olive oil, water, salt & seasoned pepper with a fork until the mixture becomes a ball of dough.

Flour your work surface with chickpea flour.  Roll out the dough into a circle, and place in a tart pan.

Prick the dough all over with a fork, and blind bake for 10 minutes at 400F.

While the pastry is baking, cook the greens in a large pan with the olive oil and onions until just wilted (about 5 minutes over medium-low heat).  Add nutmeg, chili flakes, salt, and seasoned pepper, and toss to combine.

Remove the tart shell from the oven (after the 10 minute baking period), and spread the pesto evenly over the surface of the tart.

IMG_0096

Fill with the onion and swiss chard mixture.  If you are adding feta, sprinkle it over top of the tart.  Bake for 20 minutes at 400F.

Remove from oven, and serve warm. Enjoy!

IMG_0108

Tags: , , , , , ,

Categories: Gluten-Free, Main Course, Side Dish, Vegan, Vegetarian

14 Comments on “Swiss Chard & Onion Tart (with a Chickpea Flour Crust!)”

1. March 2, 2011 at 5:11 am #

This is weird! I made a caramelized onion tart last night and crumbled some feta over it. It looked surprisingly similar to yours!! I used puff pastry though. I like the chickpea flour idea, it’s a nice colour too!

2. March 2, 2011 at 10:06 am #

It’s because we eat the same things 🙂

I love the sympatico thinking!

The chickpea flour was SO filling. Mmmm.

3. March 2, 2011 at 2:30 pm #

I like this tasty & pretty looking gf chicpea flour crust a lot!! I also love the terrific filling!!

I so much love Swiss chard but I can’t get it so easily over here,…!

Another must try of your tasty recipes!

4. Mishie
    March 6, 2011 at 3:26 pm #

what size is your pie plate?

• October 20, 2013 at 4:07 pm #

Wow, SUPER-late response, but it’s 9″ or 23cm.

5. Katey @ Bonne Santé
    March 8, 2011 at 4:25 am #

Love the colours of this tart. And being slathered in pesto on the bottom would be a nice, tasty surprise!

6. March 9, 2011 at 9:27 am #

The title of this post literally made my mouth water. Yummy.

7. Marin
    April 15, 2012 at 3:18 pm #

I just made the crust, because your post really intrigued me.. It’s wonderful! Great to have a gluten-free option that actually works. Thank you so much 🙂

• April 15, 2012 at 5:13 pm #

I’m so glad you like it as much as I do!! I think it will be great with any filling — enjoy!!

8. December 23, 2014 at 3:32 pm #

I was looking for a recipe of chickpea pie crust. this is exactly what I wanted. than you!!

• January 3, 2015 at 3:37 pm #

You’re so welcome! Let me know how you like it!

1. For the Love of Beans (October Unprocessed, Day 3) — Eating Rules - October 3, 2011

[…] accompaniment.Chickpea flour makes for an incredibly good savory tart crust. I recently made this swiss onion and chard tart, adding a base layer of cashew cream, and it was swoon-worthy.It’s easy to make socca, a chickpea […]

2. Roasted Root Vegetable & Leek Pie in a Whole Wheat Crust | The Kitchen Operas - January 3, 2012

[…] tons more savoury pies — I’ve been thinking about a mushroom & leek pie, or another swiss chard pie or maybe even a sweet pie (rhubarb and strawberry?  sour cherry?  lemon meringue?)!  Oh the pie […]

3. Swiss Chard & Sweet Potato Fatayer | The Kitchen Operas℠ - May 4, 2013

[…] Easy Olive Oil Tart Crust, which I used for all savoury tarts and then adapted for my Swiss Chard & Onion Tart with a Chickpea Flour Crust.  If you normally eat half a dozen puff pastry appetizers, you’ll only need a couple of […]