Why Blog A Whole Month of Hummus for Vegan MoFo?

My hummazing co-conspirator (Ashley from the blog Dancing Through Life) is writing today to explain why on earth we are spending an entire month blogging about hummus.  Tomorrow, we start with the recipes!

Bridesmaid Ash

Vegan MoFo 2013 banner

It all started with a conversation about peeling chickpeas.

Linz and I were at brunch way back in March and started chatting about a blog post I had seen relating to peeling chickpeas prior to making hummus. We both agreed that it would be a fun way to spend an afternoon and that we would have to try it (this is how you know we’re meant to be friends).

This led to more talks of hummus and our mutual love of hummus. As vegetarians, hummus is a pretty normal staple for both of us and something we both really adore. We suddenly found ourselves coming up with all sorts of ideas for delicious, creative and magical variations of hummus. We realized that:
a) chickpea sales were going to go up in our neighborhoods
b) we were gonna need more food processors
c) a month of hummus would be a perfect way to celebrate Vegan Mofo

So I guess the question really is, why NOT hummus?!

We couldn’t determine any reasons why hummus was a bad idea, so Lindsay is going to be hosting our month of hummus over on her lovely blog in honor of Vegan Mofo. Expect all sorts of chickpeas, tips and tricks, stellar recipes, some extra special guests and all kinds of fun. Get ready, its going to be ‘hummazing’ with all the hümmi* that we’re going dream up!

*we have decided that hümmi is the appropriate plural of hummus

Tags: , , , , ,

Categories: Announcements

15 Comments on “Why Blog A Whole Month of Hummus for Vegan MoFo?”

1. September 3, 2013 at 3:09 am #

Hmmm sounds good 🙂 do you think you will do one without legumes? ( I know that´s stretch, but I thought I´d ask)

• September 3, 2013 at 8:25 am #

That’s a really neat idea, Elle!

Adding it to the list 🙂

2. September 3, 2013 at 10:44 am #

Looking forward to reading the posts on hummus. I’m always looking for new variations.

• September 3, 2013 at 1:39 pm #

The first hummus is up! 🙂

3. Cybergabi
    September 3, 2013 at 3:19 pm #

Good luck with your hummus extravaganza – I’m curious about the variety you will come up with! (I love split green pea hummus, by the way – they make it a lot in Greece, and it’s so deeeelicious! Just in case you get tired of chickpeas…)

• September 3, 2013 at 3:35 pm #

Ooooooh split green pea hummus sounds like a GREAT idea!!! Off to research 🙂

4. September 3, 2013 at 4:27 pm #

yay! I’ve been in a bit of a hummus rut lately and could totally use some inspiration! great mofo idea!

5. cookeasyvegan
    September 4, 2013 at 5:06 pm #

Makes sense to me! I was recently part of a discussion about peeling chickpeas and how it makes the hummus creamier, but I have to admit that I’ve never peeled my chickpeas. Except by accident when the peels just come off on their own. I recently had yam hummus from a Turkish restaurant that was spectacular. I’m looking forward to your posts.

• September 4, 2013 at 5:08 pm #

Oooh yam hummus sounds delightful!!

6. September 4, 2013 at 11:10 pm #

Who would argue with a month of hummus? Perfect! So glad I found your blog; I love hummus almost as much as I love opera! 🙂

• September 4, 2013 at 11:11 pm #

Then you’re definitely in the right place 🙂 welcome!

7. September 5, 2013 at 6:18 pm #

Oooh, I am super excited! I love hummus. Can’t wait to hear all your tips and tricks. I’ve been wanting to try Yotam Ottolenghi’s tip of cooking chickpeas with baking soda to make smoother hummus! I definitely don’t have the patience to peel them by hand 😉

8. September 7, 2013 at 8:19 pm #

An entire month of hummus sounds fabulous! I can’t wait to see all of your creations. I could eat hummus every day.

• September 7, 2013 at 8:54 pm #

Thanks!

We’ve got a ton of hummus around here, so we are eating it at every meal right nor!

1. Super Smooth Hummus | The Kitchen Operas℠ - September 12, 2013

[…] date of it. That snowballed (chickpea’d?) into an elaborate conversation about hummus and our Hummus Month for Vegan Mofo was […]